Thank you so much to Tracey’s Truth for nominating me for the Liebster Award 2016. This award is given annually. It is run by bloggers for bloggers. The focus is on celebrating small blogs and helping discover hidden gems.
Review of Tracey’s Truth – Freedom to Break The Silence
This blog is a hidden gem. It provides unvarnished and realistic insights from someone who was abused. It celebrates friendship and small achievements. But what I relate to most is the realness. It’s easy to gloss over the damage of abuse.
Yet she reminds us, that the toll is there. No matter how many years pass.
She writes about attending parties as the smiley, happy go lucky guest. Being a fun companion and participating in life as best she can. But at the same time it gets emotionally draining and leaves one exhausted. Bone weary from pretending that everything is fabulous. Or the cold hard truth some people have to be cut out of your life. Even if they are abusive, losing a family member still hurts at a deep level. A person loses the bonds that are supposed to last a life time. The safety net of people who knew you from babyhood and share your DNA and physical characteristics.
Again, she never asks for sympathy and hand holding. Rather, her blog asks us to face the truth. Terrible things happen in the world. Closing our eyes or posting a cute meme won’t change that.
What does change things is given people the space to air their truths.
So many times memoirs and abuse stories are hushed up. People are told to move on and keep quiet. That is not okay.
Their stories need to be told. As a society and individuals it’s important to listen. To acknowledge the pain and impact. It can exist alongside our celebrity quotes and favourite movies.
The challenge lies in accepting both. Rather than that which is pink and glossy.
11 Random Facts about Hannah Baston
- I have kept a journal since I was eleven.
- Even as an adult my favorite color is PINK.
- I’m obsessed with old black and white Hollywood movies.
- My favorite author is Casey Watson.
- Gardening is a hobby of mine. My garden is filled with yellow daisies.
- I love Grumpy Cat
- My favorite number is seven.
- I always carry a notebook with me.
- I love crabs and don’t eat seafood.
- I suck at tin pin bowling.
- I take forever to reply to text messages.
I nominate for the Liebster Award:
The following blogs which inspire me and write helpful posts on challenging issues.
- Tracey’s Truth
- Words are All I Have Site
- Always Here for You Blog
- My Side of the Pole
- Growth Spurt Web
My Answers to Tracey’s Truth Questions
1. Do you believe in reincarnation? If so, who, what, when?
I don’t know. I’d like to believe that people’s energy never dies. That the good deeds of past generations and wisdom get passed on. That each member of a family carries the wisdom and love from those who came before.
2. If you could swap places with anyone in the world, who would it be?
Not for a life time but a month. I’d love to be Roald Dahl. To inhabit his imagination as and be a best selling author of children’s books.
3. What is your vice? I hesitate. Becoming convinced that I am the only person alive with doubts and flaws. So I stop taking action.
4. What is the one physical item you want more than anything in the world? (Don’t say a person or world peace or money) A diamond tennis bracelet.
5. Where is the one place in the world that you wish you lived? Paris or New York. Big capital cities full of life, passion and excitement.
6. What is your favorite book? The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.
7. What is your hidden talent? Therapist to Soap Opera characters. I watch cheesy tv shows and analyse the characters’s motivations, secret desires and unresolved issues. I’m always right 😉
8. If you could talk with one person dead or alive for one hour, who would it be? Marilyn Monroe. She survived sexual assault, foster care, dating a Kennedy and still looked glamorous. I still watch her old movies. If anyone inspires me to keep trying it’s her.
9. What would you talk about? Was John F Kennedy a good kisser? Or was he a boring date who went on about himself. What was is it like to live under the camera and be publicly adored. I’d love to know how she really felt. What were the differences between Marilyn Monroe and Norma Jean Baker (her childhood name).
10. What is your favorite movie? Gentlemen Prefer Blondes starring Marilyn Monroe.
11. Favorite fictional character?
Hannah in Pretty Little Liars. Gorgeous clothes, perfect hair and a sassy attitude in the face of an absent Father.
My Favorite Blog:
This blog was written by Cheryl Strayed. It started out as unpaid advice column written in Cheryl’s spare time. She answers questions from how to overcome sexual abuse to gaining the courage to ask out a crush.
What I love about the column was the insights into Cheryl herself as well as the readers. At the time of writing she was broke with two children. She’d lost her Mother to cancer and was giving free advice on the internet. Her column became an internet sensation and her life story acted bought by Reese Witherspoon. Who then acted Cheryl in a movie on her life.
She gave such insightful advice. My favorite being the woman who was scared she would have cancer. Calling our inner voice an Invisible Inner Terrible Someone. In other words, taking a huge fear and putting in perspective.
1. Who is your favorite author/blogger and why?
2. If you could be anything, what would you be? I.e. Artist, ballerina, famous poet!
3. If you were trapped on a desert island, what three items would you bring?
4. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?
5. Are you a technology lover or a pen and paper person?
6. Dog person, cat person or neither?
7. If you were stranded on an island, what 3 items would you bring, and why?
8. Outdoorsy or couch potato?
9. What movie star do you most look like?
10. What is your favorite color?
11. What is one quality in others you admire?